Your search for the best knife sharpener just got a whole lot easier thanks to this list of 5 great options that you can get nowadays! There’s an option for every need, and the tools were selected based on their features, pros and cons, and what other users had to say about them.
One consideration as you begin your search would be what type of knives or other blades you need to have sharpened. Is the sharpener mainly for kitchen use, or also for a shop or outdoor blades, such as gardening or carving tools?
There are also a variety of knife sharpening systems to choose from, whether you prefer simple whetstones, a hand-held rod, a sharpening belt, or a type of countertop wheel system. Some types of sharpeners may be inappropriate or difficult to use proficiently, and their usability depends on the hand wielding them as well, so let’s take a closer look!
1. Work Sharp’s WSKTS-W Knife and Tool Sharpener
This is easily one of the best home knife sharpener options you can get nowadays thanks to its many great features. One of them is that its belts are about 1 inch wide and require little pressure to get the job done.
On this note, you should pay attention when using this sharpener as too much pressure will wear the belts out much faster. Still, these belts are also very easy to change and you get to choose from 3 premium options: fine, medium, and coarse.
Another great feature is that you’ll be getting precision sharpening guides which should help you get easy, consistent, and repeatable results.
This is also a very versatile tool, which might perhaps be best kept in a shop rather than a kitchen. It is capable of sharpening all types of indoors and outdoors knives, and all types of blades, from the common house scissors to gardening tools.
- Comes with coarse, medium, and fine belts.
- Optional diamond belts for repairing, touching up, or sharpening ceramic blades.
- Adjustable guide for creating precise cutting angles.
- Can be used on both serrated and straight knives.
- Weighs about 2 pounds.
2. Priority Chef Sharpener
Safe and easy to use, this knife sharpener should deliver very quick and satisfying results and help you bring back to life any dull blade. Still, some knives might require a second sharpening if they were particularly dull to begin with.
This tool comes with a 2-stage sharpening system all housed in a durable construction that is also stylish and ergonomic.
It is definitely one of the best knife sharpener for kitchen knives you can get nowadays and a reportedly favorite among chefs. This tool works best for sharpening kitchen, pocket, utility, and hunting knives.
- Two-stage, diamond coated wheel system.
- Diamond-edged first wheel creates a double beveled edge.
- Ceramic second wheel hones and repairs small nicks and imperfections.
- Sharpens straight and serrated steel blades.
- Light-weight, stainless-steel with black trim, hand operated.
3. Utopia Kitchen’s 10-Inch Steel Knife Sharpening Rod
Utopia Kitchen is here to offer you one of the best manual knife sharpener tools for maintaining the edge of your favorite blades. Many users appreciate this high-quality, easy-to-use sharpening rod that is made of carbon steel and is nickel-chrome plated. This sharpening rod is most useful for kitchen, sporting, pocket, or other household knives.
It is both quick and easy to use and maintain. To do so, just wipe the rod with an oil-soaked, non-woven cloth. It’s important to know that the rod is not dishwasher safe, so only clean it manually.
- Made of carbon steel and nickel-chrome plated.
- Ergonomic handle for right- or left-handed users.
- Can be used for both standard and serrated knives.
- Easy touch-ups for most commonly used knives.
4. Sharp Pebble’s Premium Whetstone Sharpening Stone 2
If you like to sharpen your knives the old-fashioned way or have particularly damaged knives, then a whetstone may be the best knife sharpener choice for you. This sharpening system can handle just about any blade, from a pocket knife to even a sword.
Besides being multipurpose, this whetstone is also dual-sided with a grit ratio of 400/1000. You also get a flattening stone, as this is a 3-in-1 bundle. Namely, the pack includes the pebble waterstone, this flattening stone, and also a Knife Sharpening Guide eBook and generally accounts for one of the best manual knife sharpener options out there.
- Size: 7.2 x 2.2 x 1 inches / 18.2 x 5.5 x 2.5 cm
- Weight: 1.68 pounds / 0.76 kgs
- Two-side, with rubber base and flattening stone.
- 400 grit for reshaping, 1000 grit for sharpening and smoothing.
- Flattening stone levels uneven surfaces damaged by constant use.
- Water Multipurpose use for anything from kitchen knives to gardening and carving tools.
5. Work Sharp Culinary’s E5 Electric Kitchen Knife Sharpener
If your main targets are convenience and reliability, then this might just be the best knife sharpener for you! Customers enjoy its quick and easy results and the programmable choices.
Also, the accompanying sharpening rod will help you give a little extra attention to your most-used knives. It can generally sharpen any type of serrated knife and also poultry shears and common scirssors.
This pack includes a built-in vacuum that will keep your counter or work surface clean from the resulting debris. The sharpener comes with a standard 17-degree guide, and you can get additional ones if you purchase upgrades.
This E5 Electric Kitchen Knife Sharpener is also a 2018 Innovation Award winner sharpener.
- Size: 7.2 x 4.5 x 5.2 inches / 18.2 x 11.4 x 13.2 cm
- Weight: 2.5lbs / 1.1 kgs
- Sharpens in less than 90 seconds and at the touch of a button.
- Work on both straight and serrated blades.
- The built-in vacuum keeps counters free of sharpening debris.
- Includes a honing rod for finishing, maintaining a sharp blade.
This wraps up our list of some of the best knife sharpener options you can get nowadays, variants selected based, among others, on their ease of use.
Please feel free to share your personal experiences and thoughts about the items listed above, especially if you’ve already used one of the them.